Last year has been such a whirlwind and by far, has seen one of the most amazing summers Sydney has played host to. With Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Bjork, Kimya Dawson, Feist, Stars, Broken Social Scene, Beach House and !!! (Chk, Chk, Chk) to name a few. It didn’t stop there with a continuous influx of international visitors throughout the year, we were certainly spoiled for choice this year. I guess it was inevitable we all burnt out towards the year. Either way, it was a year to remember.
Here are my top 10 shows of 2008:
- Arcade Fire and Spoon @ the Enmore Theatre
Two very talented bands held our breaths. They could be bigger than Jesus.
- Mount Eerie and Lucky Dragons @ the Paddington Uniting Church
Simply one of the most surprising shows this year – intriguing and comforting at the same time. Church isn’t so bad after all.
- Beach House @ the Hopetoun Hotel
A highly anticipated show and one that didn’t disappoint.
- Joanna Newsom and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra @ the Sydney Opera House
Those acoustics, that orchestra and Joanna Newsom brought Ys to life. Newsom exists in a magical world of her own – just beautiful.
- Dan Deacon @ Hibernian House
Dance battles with one of the most hard-working (and dancin’) man, Dan Deacon in a warehouse.
- Feist @ Metro Theatre
She held my heart that night.
- Sufjan Stevens and My Brightest Diamond @ the State Theatre
He took his time but it was worth the wait.
- The National @ City Recital Hall
Finally, their stunning album of 2007, Boxer, relived.
- Coco Rosie @ the Factory Theatre
Beautiful in the most obscure ways.
- Jens Lekman @ the Vangaurd
The crooner most sweet and lovely even crafted a song about his journey to Australia and the fact he was moving here.
Who’s ready for another year? You should all be considering Sydney Festival is just around the corner.